School of Information Technology Banner
School of Information Technology Left sidebar
- BCA Cloud Technology And Information Security(CT & IS)
- B.C.A – Data science
- BCA Mobile Application & Cloud Technology(MA & CT)
- B. Tech Cloud Technology And Information Security(CT & IS)
- B. Tech Mobile Application & Cloud Technology( MA & CT)
- B.Sc. Animation and VFX
- B.Tech - IT (Data Science)
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
- B Sc – Gaming
- Post-Graduation Diploma (PGD) With Specialization in Cloud Technology (CT) Program Year 2018-19
- Post-Graduation Diploma (PGD) With Specialization in Cyber Security (CS) Program Year 2018-19
- BCA – Internet Of Things (IOT)
- B. Tech – Block Chain (BC)
- MCA – Cloud Technology (CT)
Post-Graduation Diploma (PGD) With Specialization in Cyber Security (CS) Program Year 2018-19 Content
Duration : -
Eligibility : - Applicants must satisfy one of the following minimum entry criteria: Pass in BE/B.Tech CSE with a minimum of 60% marks (55% in case of SC/ST).
Cyber Security is an important area of study in the current Digital Information Age and focuses on protection of digital information. Cyber Security (CyS) is the area of study involving technologies, processes, frameworks, conceptual models and practices designed to protect data, communication, devices (computers, phones, sensors etc), programs and applications from attack, damage or threats.
Post-Graduation Diploma (PGD) program in CyS prepares students to obtain knowledge for new age career opportunities in cyber security and information assurance. The program consists of topical areas dealing with concepts of information security, risk assessment, policies, procedures, security controls and countermeasures, incidents response, architecture, security management and governance which require students to acquire knowledge, understand and contextually apply the learning.
With protection of information at the core of Cyber Security, it has a horizontal impact on every aspect of Digital Information Age – Digital Economy, Cloud Computing, Mobile Communications, Internet of Things, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Analytics, Data Science, Quantum Computing etc.
Universities providing similar programs on Cyber Security
There are quite a number of International and Indian universities offering Cyber Security as a Post-Graduation Diploma program. Some of the well-known programs are offered by Fairleigh Dickinson University, Roger Williams University, North Central University, Colorada Technical University, Rochester Institute of Technology, SRM University, Thapar University, NIIT University, Amrita University and so on.
- The Program
Post-Graduation Diploma (PGD) program in Computer Science and Engineering with specialization in Cyber Security (CyS) is designed to enable students to be with familiar with concepts, processes and technology in diverse areas of CyS.
This curriculum is developed from a learning model based on Bloom’s Taxonomy of Thinking. Hence the objectives of the program are anchored on what students should learn, understand, and be able to do and apply as an outcome of completing this program. The program objectives are:
- Imparting the required knowledge that ensures understanding of fundamental concepts, design and controls strategy, technical architecture, tools and techniques to secure information
- Using both application-oriented and student-centric learning to help expand students’ body of knowledge in information protection
- Training the students on non-technical skills necessary to enable their successful transition into corporate roles
- Emphasizing the importance of adherence to a high standard of ethical behavior
- Provide a platform for students to not only familiarize themselves in CyS concepts and technologies but also an opportunity to learn some advances in this important area of study
- Creating a learning environment that stimulates interest in considering entrepreneurial avenues
- Equipping with the required technical skills that inspire students to consider a career in education, research and development.
Prerequisite for Cyber Security Program:
- Strong IT Fundamentals
- Basic knowledge of Computer Networks
- Coding Skills (Java Script/Python/C/C++)
- Understanding Architecture, administration of different OS(Windows, Linux and MAC)
- Basic Knowledge of Database Management System.
This value adding Post-Graduation Diploma program on Cyber Security integrates learning of fundamental concepts and advanced technical aspects in Cyber Security, provides a platform to understand the application of concepts through practical experiments and aims to place career in CyS on a higher growth pedestal.
This program includes the following subject matters as core subjects along with relevant choices of subjects.
Information security and cryptography; ethical hacking; computer forensics; application security; cloud security; latest trends in Cyber Security.
Infrastructural & Manpower Requirements
Proposed no. of student intake 60 Classroom required One (to accommodate proposed students) Lab required One - Internet equipped Online Lab (to accommodate proposed students in line with lab hours) IT Hardware and Software Related IT Hardware and Software in line with the program curriculum
Getting the students employment-ready and providing them with a jump start platform to launch their careers and/ or entrepreneurial ventures on Cyber Security are the driving force behind the design of this niche new age educational Post-Graduation Diploma program.
- Cyber Security: Growth and Demand
The need for studying cyber security as a formal Diploma program has seen an exponential growth in the last decade mostly fueled by explosion in the use of Internet, extensive penetration of smartphones, increasing use of e-commerce, e-banking and the social media. Cyber Security plays a vital role in ensuring the safety of digital economy. Today Cyber Security has become an important enabler for the growth engine of a country’s development and economy. Hence any attack or threat on cyber security impacts the growth directly or indirectly.
- Cybersecurity Ventures predicts global cybersecurity spending will exceed $1 trillion from 2017 to 2021 – in 2004, the global cybersecurity market was worth $3.5 billion and in 2017 it is expected to be worth more than $120 billion – market grew by roughly 35x over 13 years
- Demand for cyber security solutions and products are expected to increase as cyber threats and cyber-crimes continue to grow with North America being the world's largest market for cyber security, while emerging markets in APAC will have a huge opportunity
- The need for government, military, financial organizations, hospitals, corporations, education institutions and other organizations to protect confidential data (both digital and non-digital) is one of the major factors that drive the cyber security market
- As per Cyber Security Business Report published by CSO Online, Cybercrime damage costs to hit $6 trillion annually by 2021 and global ransomware damage costs are predicted to exceed $5 billion in 2017
Cyber security in India has come a long way in the past few years and has gained huge importance in recent times with the thrust on Digital India, e-commerce and mobile payments. Need for awareness, learning and formal education on Cyber Security is also thrusted upon the society due to increasing threats and attacks resulting in data breaches. Not only security threats and attacks are increasing globally, India is also witnessing a proliferation and growing sophistication of attacks on its critical installations, misuse of social media, breach of personal and financial data, threat of cyber-terrorism and cyber-war. India’s posture of Cyber Security in India is strengthened by,
- National Cyber Security Policy and RBI’s recent directive to banks and financial institutions on cyber security framework
- Government of India’s initiative on developing cyber security standards for mobile phones
- “Cyber Swachhta Kendra" is a Botnet Cleaning and Malware Analysis Centre and is a part of the Government of India's Digital India initiative under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) to create a secure cyber space by detecting botnet infections in India and to notify, enable cleaning and securing systems of end users so as to prevent further infections
Job and Career Opportunities in Cyber Security
Growth and Demand for Cyber Security has resulted in an increasing need for availability of rightly skilled talent both globally and in India.
- Cisco estimates that there are currently one million unfilled cybersecurity jobs worldwide Symantec predicts that by 2019 the number will be 1.5 million
- Cybercrime will more than triple the number of unfilled cybersecurity jobs, which is predicted to reach 3.5 million by 2021
- “Indeed Spotlight: The Global Cybersecurity Skills Gap” indicates that Cyber security is a demanding profession, many employers ask for professional certifications and treating cybersecurity as a specialization within the computing field rather than as a standalone discipline is a mistake
- Digital India, e-payment and m-payment will increase the demand for Cyber Security talent
- National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) recently estimated that India alone will need 1 million cybersecurity professionals by 2020 to meet the demands of its rapidly growing economy
- Despite having the largest information technology talent pool in the world, India is highly unlikely to produce an adequate number of professionals to close the cybersecurity skills gap (Source: Cyber Security Business Report, CSO Online)
- Based on an Osterman Research survey of 147 IT security decision makers and influencers in India, it was found that fast-moving confluence of skill shortages, worsening threats and disproportionate spending habits is leaving organizations increasingly vulnerable to data breaches, malware, phishing and a variety of other cyber security problems, with serious consequences
Today the impact of Cyber Security is so huge in our everyday life that not only results in a demand for public and private sector jobs but also stimulate a growing trend of Cyber Security Entrepreneurs. Few examples are,
- WeSecureApp, a Cyber Security company is now a team of 15, with over 45 clients, 10 global partners, secured over 160 applications and saved more than $7 Million for their clients - https://wesecureapp.com/
- New Delhi-based, cyber security services provider, Lucideus has an impressive clientele – from RBI to large enterprises – founded in 2012 by Saket Modi, Vidit Baxi and Rahul Tyagi, the IIT-Bombay incubated start-up has come a long way - http://www.lucideus.com/
Career Path in Cyber Security
In addition to technology and process based career paths as a corporate professional.